Chapters of Watership Down pdf
Chapter 1: The Notice Board
– Fiver, a young rabbit with extraordinary senses, warns his brother Hazel of an imminent danger to their warren.
– The rabbits gather to listen to Fiver’s visions, but only Hazel and a few others believe him.
– Hazel and Fiver decide to leave the warren in search of a new home, urging a small group of rabbits to join them.
Chapter 2: The Departure
– Hazel, Fiver, Bigwig, Dandelion, Blackberry, and several others start their journey towards Watership Down.
– They encounter a dog, narrowly escaping with their lives.
– Bigwig shows his strength and bravery by defeating a cat that threatens them.
Chapter 3: Through the Wood
– The group faces various challenges, navigating through a forest with many dangers.
– They discover a large warren called Efrafa, which they wisely avoid due to its oppressive and militaristic society.
– Strawberry, a rabbit from Efrafa, joins the group and shares valuable information about the political situation there.
Chapter 4: The Story of El-ahrairah
– Dandelion entertains the rabbits by recounting the legendary tales of El-ahrairah, a mythical rabbit hero known for his cunning and bravery.
– The stories inspire the group and strengthen their determination to find a safe home.
Chapter 5: In the Woods
– The rabbits face confrontations with other animals in the woods.
– Fiver’s visions guide them towards the promised land of Watership Down.
– They encounter a friendly group of farm rabbits, who share food and shelter with them.
Chapter 6: The Friendly Beasts
– Hazel decides to seek the help of other animals to establish their warren at Watership Down.
– They befriend a mouse named Hannah, who introduces them to various creatures living around the down.
– The group establishes alliances with birds, a hedgehog, and a mouse colony, creating a network of allies.
Chapter 7: “The Lendri and The River”
– Hazel and Bigwig explore the area, finding a perfect location for their warren at Watership Down.
– The rabbits face their final challenge – crossing a dangerous river guarded by the mysterious and powerful horse, Black Rabbit.
Chapter 8: The Crossing
– Hazel devises a plan to trick the Black Rabbit and safely guides the rabbits across the river.
– The group settles at Watership Down and begins building their new warren.
– The rabbits discover a large quantity of missing hutch rabbits that joined them out of desperation, ensuring a healthy and diverse population.
Chapter 9: The Sky Suspended
– The warren strives to establish a functioning society, with Hazel as the leader and Bigwig as his trusted enforcer.
– Differences among the rabbits arise, particularly between the educated rabbits and those primarily focused on survival.
– Hazel negotiates a peaceful coexistence with a nearby warren called Nuthanger Farm, ensuring their safety.
Chapter 10: The Raid
– Bigwig infiltrates Efrafa to rescue a doe named Hyzenthlay, who wants to escape the oppressive regime of the ruthless General Woundwort.
– Bigwig’s bravery and quick thinking enable him to successfully rescue Hyzenthlay and several other rabbits.
– Hazel realizes that they must find a way to free the does of Efrafa from Woundwort’s rule.
Chapter 11: “The Thunder Builds”
– Hazel and the group plan an elaborate strategy to free the Efrafa does and bring them to Watership Down.
– They enlist the help of their allies, including birds, mice, and other creatures, to distract Woundwort’s forces.
– The daring rescue mission commences, and despite Woundwort’s formidable leadership, the rabbits manage to free the does and lead them to safety.
Chapter 12: The Parting of the Waters
– Watership Down becomes a thriving community, with rabbits from Efrafa integrating into their society.
– Hazel’s health starts to decline, and he receives messages from El-ahrairah, signaling his upcoming departure.
– Hazel communicates his plans for leadership succession, reminding the rabbits that Watership Down will remain a safe haven for generations to come.
Note: The given details are a summarized overview of each chapter and do not include the entire scope of events or characters in Watership Down.
Watership Down summary