Chapters of The Book Thief pdf
Chapter 1: A Girl Made of Darkness
– Introduces the protagonist, Liesel Meminger, a young girl sent to live with foster parents in Molching, Germany in 1939.
– Liesel’s younger brother dies during the journey, and she steals her first book, The Gravedigger’s Handbook, at his graveside.
– Liesel arrives at the home of Hans and Rosa Hubermann, who become her foster parents.
Chapter 2: The Sound of Sirens
– Liesel wakes from nightmares and is comforted by Hans, who plays the accordion.
– Liesel attends her first day of school and struggles to read.
– Liesel befriends a boy named Rudy Steiner, who becomes her best friend.
Chapter 3: The Heavyweight Champion of the School-Yard
– Liesel continues to struggle with reading and is embarrassed by her lack of progress at school.
– Rudy helps Liesel practice reading by writing words in the dirt of a playground and encouraging her to read them aloud.
– Liesel steals another book, The Shoulder Shrug, from the Nazi book burnings.
Chapter 4: New Names and Papa’s Hair
– Hans teaches Liesel to read and write in secret, using the pages of Mein Kampf.
– Liesel begins to write her own stories, mostly about her deceased brother.
– Liesel learns about Jesse Owens, an African American athlete who won gold medals at the 1936 Olympics in Berlin.
Chapter 5: Great Failures and a Hitler Youth Smear
– Liesel’s foster parents take in a man named Max Vandenburg, a Jewish man escaping Nazi persecution.
– Max befriends Liesel and discovers her fascination with words and books.
– Liesel wins a 1500-meter race at school, but her victory is overshadowed by her refusal to join the Hitler Youth.
Chapter 6: The Struggler, Continued
– Liesel’s foster father, Hans, is drafted into the German army.
– Liesel visits the mayor’s library with Rudy to steal books, while bombs fall on Molching.
– Liesel begins to read to her neighbors in the basement during air raids.
Chapter 7: The Attitude of a Nazi
– Liesel steals another book, The Whistler, from the mayor’s library.
– Liesel witnesses the brutality of Nazi soldiers as they march Jewish prisoners through Molching.
– Liesel gives one of her stolen books to Max, who is hiding in their basement.
Chapter 8: The Floating Book (Part I)
– Liesel celebrates her fourteenth birthday.
– Max falls seriously ill with a fever, prompting Liesel to read to him every day.
– Liesel discovers a hidden notebook in which Max had written his own stories and sketches.
Chapter 9: The War Maker
– Liesel continues to read to Max, keeping him entertained and distracted during his illness.
– Liesel discovers Papa’s accordion hidden away, revealing his past as a German soldier in World War I.
– Hans returns from the war, injured from frostbite but with a silver cross given to him by a Jewish prisoner.
Chapter 10: The Whistler and the Shoes
– Liesel secretly buries one of her books, The Whistler, in the snow as a way to cope with her fear for Max’s life.
– Rudy and Liesel steal food from farmers for their families and other neighbors.
– Liesel receives a pair of shoes from Ilsa Hermann, the mayor’s wife, and contemplates stealing from her library once more.
The Book Thief summary